Transfer Acceleration is the new Amazon S3 feature that allows you to significantly increase uploading speed.
According to the AWS Blog, Improvements are typically in the range of 50% to 500% for cross-country transfer of larger objects, but can go ever higher under certain conditions.
Transfer Acceleration is built on top of the existing AWS edge network, which is present in more than 50 locations, and is already utilized by Amazon CloudFront and Route 53.
Once enabled, your uploads will be routed to the best AWS edge location based on latency. Transfer Acceleration will then send your uploads back to S3 over the AWS-managed backbone network using optimized network protocols.
1. Start S3 Browser and choose the bucket you want to enable Transfer Acceleation for.
2. Click Buckets, Transfer AccelerationClick Buckets, Transfer Acceleration
Amazon S3 Transfer Acceleration dialog will open:Amazon S3 Transfer Acceleration Dialog
3. Turn on Enable Transfer Acceleration for <bucket-name> and click OK to save changes.
Please also note:
- Bucket name must conform to DNS naming requirements and must not contain periods (".")
- After enabling Transfer Acceleration on a bucket it might take up to thirty minutes before the data transfer speed to the bucket increases.
- When using Transfer Acceleration, additional data transfer charges may apply. See Amazon S3 Pricing for more details.
4. You will also need to enable Transfer Acceleration in Tools, Options, GeneralEnable Amazon S3 Acceleration in Tools, Options, General
"S3 Browser is an invaluable tool to me as a web developer to easily manage my automated site backups" -Bob Kraft, Web Developer
"Just want to show my appreciation for a wonderful product. I use S3 Browser a lot, it is a great tool." -Gideon Kuijten, Pro User
"Thank You Thank You Thank You for this tool. A must have for anyone using S3!" -Brian Cummiskey, USA