Amazon S3 Versioning Overview
Versioning allows you to preserve, retrieve, and restore every version of every file in an Amazon S3 bucket. Once you enable Versioning for a bucket, Amazon S3 preserves existing files anytime you overwrite or delete them.
Since version 3.5.5 S3 Browser Freeware supports Amazon S3 Versioning and provides you an easy way to work with versioning and manage file versions: enable or disable versioning for an s3 bucket, view all versions and restore deleted or overwritten files, download any version to your computer or completely delete file version(s).
To enable or disable Amazon S3 Versioning for a Bucket
1. Right-click on the bucket you want to enable versioning for and choose Properties:
The Properties page will open. Current versioning status will be displayed in the list.Bucket Properties allows you to view and modify versioning status for the bucket.
2. Click on the corresponding link to enable or disable versioning for the bucket.
S3 Browser will perform requested action and bucket properties will be updated.Amazon S3 Versioning was successfully enabled for the Bucket.
To view all versions of a file:
Navigate to the file that you want to view versions of and open the Versions tab.All versions of a file are available on the Versions tab.
To restore past version of a file:
Select the version you want to restore and click the Restore button.Select the version you want to restore and click the Restore button.
To view all versions of a deleted file:
Deleted files are not displayed in the Files list. To view deleted files, you need to select the parent folder or a bucket.
S3 Browser will show all files and versions in the folder or in the bucket. Deleted files displayed in gray.A list of deleted files and all their versions.
To restore deleted file:
- Naviate to the parent folder (or the bucket).
- Open the Versions tab and find deleted file in the list (see picture above).
- Select the most recent version and click the Restore button.Select the most recent version of the file and click Restore.
Note: The latest revision of a deleted file is a delete marker. A delete marker is used by Amazon S3 to mark the file as deleted. It does not have data associated with it. So, you need to choose the previous revision when you are restoring deleted file.
To download on or multiple versions of a file
1. Navigate to the file and open the Versions tab.
2. Select the versions you want to download and click the Download button.Select the versions you want to download and click Download
3. Select destination folder on your computer and click OKSelect destination folder on your computer and click OK.
You can track download progress on the Tasks tab.
To delete one or multiple file versions.
1. Select the file and open the Versions tab.
2. Select the versions you want to delete and click the Delete button.Select versions and click the Delete button.
Confirm versions deletion (Note: there is no way to restore deleted versions)Confirm versions deletion. There is no way to restore deleted versions.
To restore most recent versions of all files (bulk restore)
New version of S3 Browser allows you to restore file versions in bulk mode. You can now restore all files in a bucket or folder, for example if they were accidently deleted.
To restore all files in a bucket or folder:
1. Start S3 Browser and select the bucket (and optionally the folder) that you want to work with.
2. Open the Versioning tab.
3. Right-click and choose Select most recent versions:Right-click and choose Select most recent versions.
4. Most recent versions of all files will be selected:"Most recent versions selected
5. Click Restore.
"S3 Browser is an invaluable tool to me as a web developer to easily manage my automated site backups" -Bob Kraft, Web Developer
"Just want to show my appreciation for a wonderful product. I use S3 Browser a lot, it is a great tool." -Gideon Kuijten, Pro User
"Thank You Thank You Thank You for this tool. A must have for anyone using S3!" -Brian Cummiskey, USA