Amazon S3 Versioning Overview
Versioning allows you to preserve, retrieve, and restore every version of every file in an Amazon S3 bucket. Once you enable Versioning for a bucket, Amazon S3 preserves existing files anytime you overwrite or delete them.
Since version 3.5.5 S3 Browser Freeware supports Amazon S3 Versioning and provides you an easy way to work with versioning and manage file versions: enable or disable versioning for an s3 bucket, view all versions and restore deleted or overwritten files, download any version to your computer or completely delete file version(s).
To enable or disable Amazon S3 Versioning for a Bucket
1. Right-click on the bucket you want to enable versioning for and choose Properties:
The Properties page will open. Current versioning status will be displayed in the list.Bucket Properties allows you to view and modify versioning status for the bucket.
2. Click on the corresponding link to enable or disable versioning for the bucket.
S3 Browser will perform requested action and bucket properties will be updated.Amazon S3 Versioning was successfully enabled for the Bucket.
To view all versions of a file:
Navigate to the file that you want to view versions of and open the Versions tab.All versions of a file are available on the Versions tab.
To restore past version of a file:
Select the version you want to restore and click the Restore button.Select the version you want to restore and click the Restore button.
To view all versions of a deleted file:
Deleted files are not displayed in the Files list. To view deleted files, you need to select the parent folder or a bucket.
S3 Browser will show all files and versions in the folder or in the bucket. Deleted files displayed in gray.A list of deleted files and all their versions.
To restore deleted file:
- Naviate to the parent folder (or the bucket).
- Open the Versions tab and find deleted file in the list (see picture above).
- Select the most recent version and click the Restore button.Select the most recent version of the file and click Restore.
Note: The latest revision of a deleted file is a delete marker. A delete marker is used by Amazon S3 to mark the file as deleted. It does not have data associated with it. So, you need to choose the previous revision when you are restoring deleted file.
To download one or multiple versions of a file
1. Navigate to the file and open the Versions tab.
2. Select the versions you want to download and click the Download button.Select the versions you want to download and click Download
3. Select destination folder on your computer and click OKSelect destination folder on your computer and click OK.
You can track download progress on the Tasks tab.
To restore versions from Amazon Glacier
File versions archived to Amazon Glacier (i.e. versions with GLACIER storage class) are not available immediately. To get access to these versions you need to request them from Amazon Glacier storage first and then wait 4-5 hours. Below you will find detailed instructions.
To restore versions with GLACIER storage class:
1. Select the file and open the Versions tab (or select the bucket or a folder to restore versions of multiple files).
2. Right-click on the version(s) you want to restore from Amazon Glacier and choose Restore from Amazon Glacier..Right-click the versions you want to restore and choose Restore from Amazon Glacier..
Restore files from Amazon Glacier dialog will openRestore files from Amazon Glacier dialog
3. Specify how long restored versions will be available and click Restore
Confirmation dialog will appear:Confirmation dialog
It usually takes about 4-5 hours to restore versions from Amazon Glacier. When GLACIER version is ready, you can make it current (use the Restore button) or download it to your local disk.
To track progress of restore operation:
1. Right-click the version you previously requested from Amazon Glacier and choose Properties:Right-click the version and choose Properties
Properties tab will open:Version Properties
The Storage Class row shows current storage class and the status of restore operation. If version is not ready, you will see the Restoration in progress message. When version is ready you will see the Restored until [DATE] message.
To delete one or multiple file versions
1. Select the file and open the Versions tab.
2. Select the versions you want to delete and click the Delete button.Select versions and click the Delete button.
Confirm versions deletion (Note: there is no way to restore deleted versions)Confirm versions deletion. There is no way to restore deleted versions.
To restore most recent versions of all files (bulk restore)
New version of S3 Browser allows you to restore file versions in bulk mode. You can now restore all files in a bucket or folder, for example if they were accidently deleted.
To restore all files in a bucket or folder:
1. Start S3 Browser and select the bucket (and optionally the folder) that you want to work with.
2. Open the Versioning tab.
3. Right-click and choose Select most recent versions:Right-click and choose Select most recent versions.
4. Most recent versions of all files will be selected:Most recent versions selected
5. Click Restore.
Additional actions for file versions (Permission, Headers, Preview, Properties)
S3 Browser version 4.4.5 extends support for Amazon S3 versioning allowing you to view and edit version permissions and generate web urls, view and edit version headers, preview file versions, view version properties. See detailed instructions below.
To view and edit version Permissions
Right-click the version and choose Edit Permissions (ACL)..Right-click the version and choose Edit Permissions (ACL)..
Permissions tab will openVersion Permissions (ACL) Editor
Here you can edit version' permissions and/or copy version web URL. See the detailed manual for permissions editor here.
To view and edit version headers
Right-click the version and choose Edit Http Headers..Right-click the version and choose Edit Http Headers..
Http Headers tab will openVersion Headers Editor
Here you can edit version headers, such as Content-Type, Expiration, etc.
To preview version
Right-click the version and choose Preview..Right-click the version and choose Preview..
Preview tab will openVersions Preview
Here you can preview some types of files, supported formats are: plain text, image, binary.
To view version properties
Right-click the version and choose Properties..Right-click the version and choose Properties..
Properties tab will openVersion Properties
Here you can view extended version properties: ETag, Key, Last Modified date, Owner information, Size, Storage Class, Encryption status and version Id. You can also copy selected fields to clipboard (see the context menu).
"S3 Browser is an invaluable tool to me as a web developer to easily manage my automated site backups" -Bob Kraft, Web Developer
"Just want to show my appreciation for a wonderful product. I use S3 Browser a lot, it is a great tool." -Gideon Kuijten, Pro User
"Thank You Thank You Thank You for this tool. A must have for anyone using S3!" -Brian Cummiskey, USA